Looking for Hope

Looking for Hope

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Humdrum Update

Well...I've started a new job. It's not really all that exciting. Well, it can be exciting. Like any time I start a new job, I'm absolutely paranoid about doing ANYTHING wrong. So far, I've made plenty of mistakes, but I'm trying not to punish myself for it too much because I am new and no one really expects me to get everything right the first time.

So, I'm working at the Computer Tutor, a small business that helps people with their computers by setting things up, troubleshooting, ordering parts, putting computers together, etc...It's amazing to me just how complex being a technician is and just how much they're expected to know right off the top of their heads. You have to want to learn as much as you can because there are new things constantly coming out, being published, being rewritten, with new problems and new solutions everyday.

It's amazing.

The job I have as a receptionist isn't really all that exciting, but it's nice enough. I mean, I answer phones and set up appointments and screen the phone calls that come in for the other people that work there. Most of what I do is sit around wondering if there is something else I should be doing.

I try to avoid doing things like checking my e-mail and using the computer to play games like solitaire while I wait for the next thing to happen because I feel I'm on company time and therefore shouldn't be using their materials for personal things like that. I especially avoid messenger programs because they're such a source of distraction (never mind the fact that all of the technicians hate them with a passion because they install so much additional crap onto your computer).

I'm house-sitting now. I'm currently using the computer at the house I'm house-sitting for (shh! Don't tell). I'm about to head to bed real soon, though. I'm basically taking care of the cat that lives here while her owner is off elsewhere. It's really not all that bad. I get to spend the night i I would like, I managed to convince my dad to buy me groceries (although it really didn't take all that much persuasion) and I get to live in an actual house for a little while.

We're ignoring the fact that instead of driving 5-10 minutes to get to work, I'm going to drive anywhere between 20 and 45 minutes, meaning I have to get up even earlier.

My body hasn't fully recovered from having to get up early this week. I'm actually going to head to bed really soon.

I think I already mentioned that. *glances through entry* *shrugs* Maybe not.

You'd think after having to sit in front of a computer all day that the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a computer longer.

And actually, you wouldn't be all that far off. :)

But, since I really only get to deal with the appointment program and occasionally looking something up on Google or the Yellow Pages web site, I kind of want to use a computer for other purposes.

All righty, I'm boring myself. I'm going to go snoop around and see where I'm going to spend the night...get things set up and go read until I zonk out. :)

Toodles!

No comments: