Looking for Hope

Looking for Hope

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Carrying my loads...

Good grief...I think I'm dysfunctional or something. I couldn't find the link for how to update this post and then, suddenly, it was right in front of me...not quite blinking in nice big orange letters, but still...it was there. I swear, sometimes wearing glasses isn't enough to make me see properly.

So, because my Live Journal is down, I'm going to update here.

Plus, I need to broaden my horizons a bit and post other places more frequently.

So...what's new in my world....

I have a job! I'm going to be working as a receptionist for the Computer Tutor, a small company that repairs computers and offers occasional courses in how to use them. :) So yay! I get to be a geek! :)

Well, okay, more than I have been.

I've spent the day doing really nothing at all. I went ahead and checked my e-mail this morning, took a very long shower, got dressed, and dinked around. Watched How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, pined for a bit, got songs stuck in my head, started the slow cooker up and did my Bible study lesson for this week. It was a pretty good lesson....sometimes I wonder if maybe it would be more of a benefit to the people going through the study, though, if the author would actually define Christian-ese terms.

Ah, something I wanted to post on Live Journal:

We have a lot of pickup trucks in teh part of West Texas where I live. Those pickups have an extra-heavy set of springs called "overload springs"--and they work! A good old pickup truck can carry quite a load of stuff. But, if you took every load that pickup would ever carry, and put it on the pickup all at once, it would collapse.

It can carry loads fine, one load at a time.

Jesus puts it this way, "Let today's troubles be enough for today." And that's the way we are made, too--to carry on day's troubles at a time.
--Paul Faulkner from "Don't Worry About Tomorrow" on heartlight.org.

I love the stuff from heartlight.org because it's some challenging, good stuff. :) I often need to be reminded that I shouldn't carry more than one day's worth of burdens. My shoulders were never meant to bear that much weight.

And, this story from Max Lucado:
Many years ago a man conned his way into the orchestra of the emperor of China although he could not play a note. Whenever the group practiced or performed, he would hold his flute against his lips, pretending to play but not making a sound. He received a modest salary and enjoyed a comfortable living.

Then one day the emperor requested a solo from each musician. The flutist got nervous. There wasn't enough time to learn the instrument. He pretended to be sick, but the royal physician wasn't fooled. On the day of his solo performance, the impostor took poison and killed himself. The explanation of his suicide led to a phrase that found its way into the English language: "He refused to face the music."


Taken from his book Just Like Jesus

I was thinking about something else earlier this week. Body language....and what my body language communicates at various times.

This occurred to me Tuesday night when I was at Joy in the Evening, the women's Bible study I attend at my church. I went over to the welcome table to check and see if my name was on the list for the right class (fortunately, it was). While I was talking to one of the women who were checking lists, I had my arms crossed across my chest. Later, I was thinking about this and it occurred to me that it probably gave off the impression that I was closed-off...stand-offish...rude....angry.....all kinds of other things. But if you were to watch my face while I was talking to her, you would have seen that I was actually quite happy and content (smiling and shtuff like that).

I actually was just a bit cold and was right by the doors. :)

Anywho, so I was thinking about that after our corporate worship session was over and we had split into our groups. During worship, I try as much as possible to not cross my arms across my chest. It makes me feel like my body is getting closed off and is a reflection that my heart is the same way. It makes me feel like I've been angry at God for some reason and unwilling to admit it. I don't feel like I can receive God as freely if my arms are crossed.

Weird, huh?

So I do other things with my hands (usually have them in my pockets, clapping, or raised...I also like to pretend I know sign language and so sometimes I'm signing) while we're singing. I often wonder about other people and if their body language is a reflection of what's going on in their heart. Someone who is standing with arms raised, head lifted to the sky seems a lot more receptive to God and Him pouring out Himself upon the person...facing Him head on and inviting Him to bring what He may. Although, I know also that God pours Himself just as fully on those who kneel before Him with their heads bowed.

Perhaps body language doesn't really reflect the heart's condition during worship....but it certainly makes me wonder. :)

Okie doke, that was actually all for tonight. :)

Toodles!

No comments: