Looking for Hope

Looking for Hope

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Oscars

So, I thought before the actual awards show came around, I’d make a post about my picks for Oscars this year. :) I have some down time at work and it’s been relatively quiet today (good thing, I need to recuperate from yesterday).

My choices for Oscars will be in bold font, just so y’all know. I’ll try to put some reasoning to my pick under the category. :)

Best Picture
The Aviator
Finding Neverland
Million Dollar Baby
Ray
Sideways

I chose 2 for this particular category because I have to give my love to Finding Neverland, it was just really well done. However, I’m not going to cry and get upset if it doesn’t win...as long as it goes to Million Dollar Baby. I haven’t seen it, but from what my parents and friends have been saying, it’s an amazing movie and it’s totally worth the Best Picture category. :) I also wouldn’t be incredibly upset if Ray won cuz I have a soft spot for that movie, despite the fact I haven’t seen it yet.

Achievement in Directing
Martin Scorsese for The Aviator
Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby
Taylor Hackford for Ray

Alexander Price for Sideways
Mike Leigh for Vera Drake

Again, I just have this gut feeling about Million Dollar Baby and Ray that say that they’re gonna be the top contenders for this particular category. I’m hoping to see them this weekend and if my opinion changes, I’ll get back to you. :)

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Don Cheadle for Hotel Rwanda
Johnny Depp for Finding Neverland
Leonardo DiCaprio for The Aviator
Clint Eastwood for Million Dollar Baby
Jamie Foxx for Ray

Honestly, if I absolutely had to choose between the two, my heart would go for Jamie Foxx because he had to take on such an enormous task with becoming Ray and it proved that he could really act, not just goof around. Stereotypical comment, I know, but it’s how I feel. Not that comedy takes any less skill than acting in a drama-type role (haha, ironic, right? Acting is Drama....ok, I’m done).

But, I also have much love for Johnny Depp because I loved Finding Neverland so much and he really did do an amazing job with that.

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Alda for The Aviator
Thomas Haden Church for Sideways
Jamie Foxx for Collateral
Morgan Freeman for Million Dollar Baby
Clive Owen for Closer

Okay, I’m really not sure about this category because the only movie in this grouping that I have seen was Collateral and I didn’t really like it all that much. I love Morgan Freeman, but not having seen Million Dollar Baby kinda puts a kink in the works as far as me picking him. And I love Alan Alda in M*A*S*H and ER when he was a guest star on that....but I haven’t been too impressed with the things I’ve heard about The Aviator and I’m not sure I’ll even see it....*sigh*

Tis a dilemma, I tell you what.

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Annette Bening in Being Julia
Catalina Sandino Moreno in Maria Full of Grace
Imelda Staunton in Vera Drake
Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby
Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Catalina did well in Maria Full of Grace...well, she wore a look of concern most of the time and did very well with that....Kate Winslet did well in Eternal Sunshine....and I haven’t seen the others. So, if it were solely between those two, I’d choose Kate Winslet because I feel like she had a more dynamic character and performed her part well.

Although, part of me has a soft spot for Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby and I would pick her over Kate, despite the fact that I haven’t seen the movie yet.

Argh...I need to go see that movie so I can be more informed. :oP

Best Supporting Actress
Cate Blanchett for The Aviator
Laura Linney for Kinsey
Virginia Madsen for Sideways
Sophie Okonedo for Hotel Rwanda
Natalie Portman for Closer

No opinion. I haven’t see any of those movies and the only one I’d be remotely likely to see is Hotel Rwanda although I am curious about The Aviator.
Best Original Screenplay
The Aviator by John Logan
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind by Charlie Kaufman, Michel Gondry, Pierre Bismuth
Hotel Rwanda by Terry George, Keir Pearson
The Incredibles by Brad Bird
Vera Drake by Mike Leigh

Um...yeah...the only one I’ve seen (Eternal Sunshine) is one I wouldn’t choose. I think primarily because it was twisted and strange. Kinda silly of me, huh?

Best Adapted Screenplay
Before Sunset by Richard Linklater, Kim Krizan, Julie Delpy, & Ethan Hawke
Finding Neverland by David Magee
Million Dollar Baby by Paul Haggis
The Motorcycle Diaries by Jose Rivera
Sideways by Alexander Payne, Jim Taylor

Love, love, love that movie! It was sooooo well-written and done. :)

Best Animated Feature Film
The Incredibles
Shark Tale
Shrek 2


I chose Shrek 2 because it’s the only one I’ve seen out of the three...I doubt Shark Tale is really all that well done, anyway...and, although, I would like to say The Incredibles, that wouldn’t really be an informed decision.

Good thing I’m letting myself feel free to change my opinion as time progresses and I see a few more of these movies.

Achievement in Art Direction
The Aviator
Finding Neverland
Lemony Snicket’s a Series of Unfortunate Events

Andrew Lloyd Weber’s the Phantom of the Opera
A Very Long Engagement


Torn is what I am. I loved how Finding Neverland was done. The sets were beautiful and the shots that were chosen enhanced the film so well. But, A Series of Unfortunate Events was also incredibly well done...

If it came down between the two.....*sigh* I’d rather not choose.

Achievement in Costume Design
The Aviator
Finding Neverland
Lemony Snicket’s a Series of Unfortunate Events

Ray
Troy

Again, torn am I. If it came down to the two, though, I would pick Lemony Snicket because the costumes were quite amazing. Especially after reading the descriptions given in the books. :)

Best Achievement in Score
Finding Neverland
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Lemony Snicket’s a Series of Unfortunate Events
The Passion of the Christ
The Village

Hand’s down. I loved the music. I can’t wait until I get paid on Friday. I am so going to get the soundtrack. :)

Well, my friends, those are my picks. I’ll update as I see more movies and see if my opinion has changed any.

No comments: